Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vote for Stephen!

by Wilson McCrory

I was planning on writing my "Steph Curry for conference player of the year" article for two weeks now, but each time I sat down to write it, I couldn't convince myself it was worth the time. I mean, the guy was a lock, right?

He pours in a conference-leading 20.7 points per game, averages 4.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists and shoots better than 40 percent from beyond the arc. More importantly, in the last 10 games, he's averaged more than 25 per contest while oftentimes putting the team on his back.

And this for a team that has defied expectations to run through the conference at 17-1, including hammering opponents by an average of 18 points over the past 10 games.

I honestly didn't think the argument for Curry was worth my ink, but that opinion changed Tuesday morning when I woke up to see Chattanooga sportswriter David Uchiyama's picks for all-conference honors.

Not only was Curry not listed as the SoCon player of the year, he wasn't even on this guy's first team ballot. Instead, he was hanging out on the second team with guys like Ricky Hickman, who dropped all of zero points on the Wildcats the last time his UNC-G Spartans came to Belk Arena.

See the rest of this article at The Davidsonian.

No comments: