Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It could have been anyone

Last night on Davidson campus, Josiah Cameron was found dead in his sleep with his door locked. Although he had a history of seizures, the final analysis of the cause of death has not been determined. Cameron was a freshman living on Fourth Richardson and was a member of the football team.

It is not often that the Davidson community is torn like this and everytime something happens, our immediate reaction is to realize how prone we are to things that happen in the real world. It seemed very appropriate that yesterday morning I was in a bible study talking about the nature of suffering in this world. Discussion began to focus on whether our suffering as Davidson students had any legitimacy in the context of the wider world. This morning, there is no doubt in my mind that there is no wider world. Every little part of this world, from the country clubs to the ghettos to the war-torn nations is a part of a world that is broken and is trying to find its way. Only two days before students head off for Easter break, the Davidson community will be faced with the decisions of providing support, memorializing Cameron and yet moving on. However, hopefully it is with a greater perspective.

These past two weeks, I have had numerous conversations with people who are so frustrated this time of year with all of the activities and obligations that got pushed into the home stretch. We expect a lot here from ourselves and from each other. Oftentimes we miss out on being able to love on another in our goals. I can't imagine what I would have done had it been my best friend who I blew off for dinner yesterday so I could finish this project. Or the person that sat next to me in class all semester that I never talked to. I couldn't imagine being a roommate who is never around for support and then comes in one night to find your roommate dead.

My prayers go out to the Cameron family, and more especially the Davidson family. May we grow in love and support for each other, so that so many people may not be lonely together anymore.

No comments: